Historic R.D. Hubbard House
Mankato, MN 56001
The Historic R. D. Hubbard House was built in 1871 by R. D. Hubbard. Built in the French Second Empire style, the Hubbard House is constructed of brick and wood on a basement of cut stone. The main house is two and a half stories with a mansard roof of colored slate, with the 1888 construction adding another one and a half stories to the house. Built in 1890, the carriage house is a brick structure of two stories that was originally located on the far side of Glenwood Creek, but in 1977 was relocated inside the Palmer Centennial Garden area next to the Hubbard House. This structure still houses many antique vehicles.Saving the turn-of-the-century landmark from a wrecker's ball, in 1938 BECHS purchased the Hubbard House from Mary Esther, the youngest of Hubbard's daughters. BECHS deeded the property to the City of Mankato, which assumed all maintenance costs, while BECHS operated the museum and maintained the artifacts from the house. All of the fourteen rooms are open to the public and equipped with handicapped-accessible conveniences.In 1990, the Blue Earth County Historical Society moved to its current location and the Historic R.D. Hubbard House underwent renovations to restore the house to 1905. The Historic R. D. Hubbard House is open seasonally May through September with special hours in December.